Healthy Oceans: Towards a research & innovation mission in the next decade?
The year 2021 will mark the start of a series of very important new chapters for the oceans. The EU’s new framework programme for research and innovation, Horizon Europe, and the UN’s Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development. This will be an unprecedented opportunity to pool together our resources addressing the ocean health and gathering ocean stakeholders worldwide behind a common framework. It will ensure that ocean science can fully support countries in creating improved conditions for sustainable development of our Seas and Oceans. At EU level, there is need of increased synergies among the various stakeholders in order to make better use of allocated resources, to avoid duplication and multiply the expected effects between the different instruments: Horizon Europe and its proposed mission on Healthy Oceans, the European Maritime and Fisheries Funds, the EIT (European Institute for Technology) Knowledge and Innovation Communities. The session will discuss “How can we strengthen the knowledge base from which new, innovative products, processes and services can emerge for the maritime economy?
- Sigi GRUBER, Head of Unit, Marine Resources, DG RT, European Commission
- Andreea STRACHINESCU-OLTEANU, Head of Unit, Maritime Innovation, Knowledge and Investment, DG MARE, European Commission
- Julian BARBIÈRE, Head, Marine Policy and Regional Implementation Section, IOC Secretariat UNESCO
- Wilfried KRAUS, Director, European Cooperation, Germal Federal Ministry of Education and Research
- Andreia FERNANDES, Country Manager, InnoEnergy Portugal
- Jorge Miguel Alberto de MIRANDA, President of IPMA, Portuguese Institute for the Ocean and the Atmosphere