EU Bio-economy strategy: Towards a more circular and innovative blue bio-economy
The blue bio-economy is an exciting field of innovation, turning blue biomass into novel foods, feed, energy, packaging and much more. Aquatic biological resources will also be crucial to meet global challenges like the growing demand for food and the need to switch to a more circular economy. For instance, the production of algae is becoming increasingly important, for both food and non-food products. This session will present the aquatic component of the EU’s new bio-economy strategy. It will highlight the activities of the newly established Blue Bio-economy Forum and it will provide an overview of industry trends for the European algae industry.
- Valentina MABILIA, Policy Officer, DG MARE
- Andreas LIGTVOET, Project Manager of the Blue Bioeconomy Forum
- Vitor VERDELHO, General Manager of European Algae Biomass Association
- Peter CARLSSON, Developer, Sotnenäs Symbiosis Center
- Jorge Alexandre VIEIRA, CEO of Undersee