Building bridges to the market: how to make the most of EU funding opportunities
Innovation is the key driver to transformation and growth in the ocean economy. In 2012, the European Commission formulated its Blue Growth strategy to harness the innovation and growth potential of Europe's oceans, seas and coasts. Over the past six years the EU has invested substantial funds, energy and vision into promoting this goal. A particular focus has been on supporting innovation projects by SMEs and start-ups through instruments such as the SME initiative, EIC pilot, EMFF, Life and COSME. This session will provide an overview of the main EU funding opportunities and support for innovation projects available to blue start-ups and SMES in the Blue Economy. It will be linked to pitch stage session II (Expo Stage) highlighting project examples/successful projects by beneficiaries of these programmes.
- Julien Guerrier, Director, Executive Agency for small and Medium sized Enterprises (EASME), European Commission
- Chiara PETRIOLI, R&D Director WSense, professor University La Sapienza of Rome, Beneficiary EMFF
- Simon FORREST, CEO, Nova Innovation Ltd.
- Oihane CABEZAS BASURKO, AZTI Tecnalia/Tecnologias Pesqueras SosteniblesN.N., Beneficiary Life
- Dora CORREIA, Director, General Affairs and Resources, European Commission, DG MARE, EMFF
- Helena VIEIRA, Professor University of Lisbon; Scientific board member – BioBased Industries Joint Union